Saturday, April 17, 2010

Curry Lime Chicken (Its Grilling Season)

If there were any season that is "a perfect time to kill" it would be Grilling season! What's more perfect then the aroma of a succulent, well seasoned,  give you that dirty feeling, that guilty feeling that something this good should be illegal, fine cut of meat. Block out any other thoughts you have for just one moment and focus on this picture I paint if you will; Your grill is prepped, charcoal is lit, you take your meat that has been marinated overnight out of the fridge, slap it on grill like a pair of hot cakes, and listen to the sound of serenity, that sizzle. Your neighbors are looking over the fence only to ask "What is that on your grill it smells so good?" With deep pride, and in your wise guy voice you respond "If I tell you, I'd have to kill you."hungry yet?

Here's a recipe that's been with my family for years! One of the few dishes that Mama Wok knows how to cook, as sad as it sounds Mama Wok doesn't know how to cook elaborate dishes,she really doesn't! Our curry lime chicken is almost indescribable other then delicious., so good it'll make a vegan want to take a bite out of your breast,chicken breast that is. However, when you think of lime, you may think sour but this is far from sour, the lime just gives it that aroma, that zing in each bite.

Ingredients:
  • 6 pieces of chicken or preferably chicken thighs
  • 1 1/2 lime
  • 3 cloves of garlic (please dice,mince)
  • 2 tablespoons of sugar
  • 1 tablespoon and an extra pinch of salt
  • Generous amount of Curry powder (This adds color)
  • Half of jalapeno sliced the long way
  • 1/2 tea spoon of msg (not too much)
Method
  1. Wash your chicken, I used chicken thigh because it doesn't dry out as easily as the breast
  2. Cut 2 slits into your chicken just to ensure that it is cooked all the way through
  3. Add off the above ingredients, squeeze your lime,add your garlic,sugar,salt,msg
  4. Here comes' the pain!!You should always wear gloves when you do this, with your hands, toss the chicken around adding a light squeeze to each thigh/breast.
  5. Allow the chicken to marinate 24hrs in your fridge for best results
  6. Grilling time!
After 24 hours of marinade your batch should like this below. You can use the leftover juices to brush onto your thighs/breast during grilling.

Serve w/rice, french fries, an over easy egg, this dish goes well with just about anything.
Bon Appetit!

8 comments:

1. Tangled NoodleApr 17, 2010 11:07 AM
    I'm lovin' the start of grilling season! Even without having tasted it first, I have no doubt that Mama Wok's curry lime chicken is outstanding. No need for elaborate dishes - just a few pieces of grilled chicken and some rice, just like you've pictured, would be perfect.
    ReplyDelete
  2. MonkeeApr 17, 2010 11:33 AM
    Yummm sounds delish, I'll def try it this summer, hehe probably switch the MSG part w/fish sauce instead :P I'm sure it's still yummi without it
    ReplyDelete
  3. HoustonWokApr 19, 2010 08:20 PM
    @TangledNoodle
    Simplicity can be a priceless commodity. Nothing fancy here, just good ol grilled chicken be a little bit of zing
    @Sushimonkee I know ur comment is here somewhere but I can't see it.Let me know how it turns out for you
    ReplyDelete
  4. JoyApr 22, 2010 02:55 PM
    This is my favorite time in texas Spring/Summer because IT IS GRILLING SEASON!! Hells to the yeah -- nothing is better than an ice cold beer while grillin some MEATS and veggies too of course :)

I also enjoy the new layout!
    ReplyDelete
  5. JenniferJun 25, 2010 07:47 AM
    Hi David,

Thanks for sharing the Curry Lime Chicken recipe, I created the marinade last night and mine came out pretty dark - nothing like the picture you posted. I'm thinking I used too much curry. Would you mind estimating how much curry you used for this recipe? Thanks!
    ReplyDelete
  6. HOUSTONWOKJun 25, 2010 09:17 AM
    Hi Jennifer,
    I am so sorry this recipe didn't turn out as you expected it to. We have been making this dish for so long that we have been eying the amount of curry powder so I should have given a more specific amount. If I had to estimate I'd say we used 3 large tablespoons of curry powder. We also used an open electric Korean BBQ style grill. However I don't think the grilling source makes any difference. Did you try the chicken despite it coming out pretty dark? Please let me know, I am here to help any way I can.
    Thanks for trying
    David(HoustonWok)
    ReplyDelete
  7. JenniferJun 30, 2010 08:56 AM
    Hi David,

Actually, the recipe turned out wonderful! I'm new to cooking with curry powder, but your recipe was great! Thanks for providing such inspiration - I'll be trying the chicken with mango recipe next :)
    ReplyDelete
  8. RoxannaNov 23, 2010 07:34 PM
    I love grilling so much, that I actually started having my own bbq reviews. Now that Holidays are approaching, I'd like to try on this recipe! This would be perfect using my gas barbecue accessories. Thanks again for sharing!
    ReplyDelete